Thursday, October 7, 2010

Turn The Page

Turning a decade older can do strange things to people. Some choose to question God why he turns people old, some prefer to let it slide. I chose to look back and assess and the only thought that came to my mind - You've come a long way, baby!

A lot happened in the last 10 years. I spent 4 years completing formal education, 3 years in complete financial freedom and 3 years in captivity ... err, being married.

Personally, many things changed. From never having lived away from my parents for 22 years, I spent the next 8 in a distant land. I went from weighing 135 lbs to 180 lbs, from driving a 35cc joke of a vehicle to a 3.5L gas guzzler, from carrying data on floppy disks to carrying data on phones. I made my first ever paycheque; and then some. I traveled extensively. Friends turned into mere acquaintances, and acquaintances, friends. As the years turned over, I saw myself trying hard to blend in when earlier I was trying to stand out.

The world around me changed rapidly too. We entered a new millennium. The global threat of terrorism thrust it's ugliness in our face in the form of 9/11. Train bombings, subway bombings, hotel bombings followed. Bush screwed with America twice over. Gay marriages were legalized. India elected it's first ever woman president; America it's first black president. Tsunamis. Earthquakes. Hurricanes. Oil Spills. Social Media.

The more things changed though, the more they remained the same. Tendulkar is still cricketing God. Ten years later, Laxman is still holding the Aussies at bay. Ponting is still chewing his finger nails. Afridi is still 17 years old. Kobe is still top dog. Derek Fisher's rainbow shots still find the pot of gold through the net. Lakers,under Jackson, still have a shot at a 3-peat. Oil, gold and real estate continue getting expensive by the day. Thalaivar still rules the Tamizh heart. Salman Khan is still debating marriage.

I guess I've rambled on way too much already. To sum up, the last 10 years have been a great journey and as I continue to grow, I continue to learn. The idea is to get better with age, but it comes with one caveat - growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ;)

Here's to the years to come!


Post Title: Metallica - Turn The Page

6 comments:

Megha said...

hehe.. I liked the bits "Salman khan is still debating marriage" and "Afridi is still 17 years old" LOL :D
Good blog.. u definitely should write more often! Good luck for ur 30s.. hope they are even better than ur twenties :)

Unknown said...

Good Abstract, where's the full Paper? And I was expecting some philosophy too ... having turned 30, you are entitled to preach some :-)

Unknown said...

Nicely written mate!...For being able to fit the decade of your life and the world, beautifully in such concise manner I am amazed:)...and love the title "Turn the Page". \m/

Unknown said...

oho....blog after a lon time....
good dat u hav realised dat u hav bcom 'MHATARA' now ;-)....
by writing this blog , u hav made me realise that soon even I will be entering in dis phase.

Amit said...

Thanks all :)
@Tushar - philosophy isn't my cup of tea. Besides, if I start preaching, the audience would disappear in seconds :P
@Akshay - Hopefully this post helps resume regular writing .. we'll find out soon :)

Gilbert Josh said...

Thank you so much for sharing all this wonderful info with the how-to's!!!! It is so appreciated!!! You always have good humor in your posts/blogs. So much fun and easy to read!

ZenMate VPN Crack