Friday, March 23, 2007

How I saved $60

Like countless of my desi brethren out there I sit dejected tonight. The feeling is still sinking in, India dropping out of the World Cup without even qualifying for the Super 8's is not an easy thought to digest. They had been labeled 'commercial favorites' (whatever that term means) to win the World Cup after all. I mean, I am one to call a spade a spade, so realistically speaking India was going to drop out sooner than later. Looking at the previous few games India had played, it would take a fool to bet his horses on this Indian team. But still, given India's on-paper strength, it would've been another audacious foo' to write them off so early in the tournament.

Pakistan had already ensured on their part that this would be a boring World Cup. They played themselves out of the competition way too early and denied us the privilege of whooping their a$ses out of the World Cup. For most, the best part of the World Cup had been lost. We know most times our team isn't in the capacity to actually win the World cup, so defeating Pakistan in a World Cup match serves as our comfort blanket. Most Indians would agree, that given our team strength, beating Pakistan is more important than winning a World Cup. This time this wasn't to be. Little did we know that the Indian team was going to put up a show that would make Pakistan look like the best team in the world. They got snapped up by Bangladesh and returned to spank poor hapless Bermuda to all parts of the ground. In another part of the Caribbeans, a spin wiz was smacking his fingers anticipating the contest to come. India were, again only on-paper, the best players of spin.

India had the privilege of playing 3 of the best one-day players of modern times in Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly (hats off for his great comeback). Uthappa was looking fairly comfortable and promising at the top along with the big three. They had a dependable middle order with the return of Yuvraj Singh and the big hitting Dhoni. The tail had shown in previous games that it could wag and do its bit. The bowling was as has always been (read, not that great). Given this, it is hard to analyse what really went wrong. First the capitulation against a bunch of teens and then this - making a mess in a do-or-die match. I'm sure reams and reams of paper will be wasted on this, experts making a comment and another, trying to express their POV; to no use nevertheless.

Due credit to Sri Lanka though. Murali has always been one of the best spinners and the way he made easy meat of some of our players only provides further evidence why the man commands respect no matter what kind of a pitch he plays on.

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to watch the match (and do NOT intend to watch the highlights) so I cannot comment on the quality of cricket that was played, but with a reputation at stake one would imagine that both teams would have gone and played their hearts out in the middle. Not true with one big man though, Tendulkar. I am too insignificant to talk in dishonor against the great man but I cannot help but express my discontent. Historically, Tendulkar has never stood up and counted for the team when it has mattered the most and today was no different. Getting out on the 3rd ball he faced in a do or die match is not taking responsibility. When so much is at stake one would expect the senior players to stand up and take charge. Here, our man walks in and out. I'm sorry, but that is just not becoming of a man who is regarded as the greatest Indian player to have picked up the cricket bat. What plays on his mind in such big games, only he can tell. I was at work following the match and when Tendulkar was out I was .. I was .. I cant really express in words what I felt .. that feeling was well beyond words. The only thing that came to my mind, after getting over that shock, that could come any close to what I experienced was Ramgopal Bajaj in AAA going "रवीना की माँ, मैं आ रहा हू!" Jokes apart, from then on, it was just a matter of completing the formalities for the Sri Lankan team. With the Murali threat looming large, none of the middle and lower order batsmen could have done much and thats exactly what happened. Oh well!

All said and done, I am not angry, nor am I the least bit frustrated. I feel sad. Sad for the 3 best players of the Indian team who took India to such glorious heights over the last decade and a half. For them to bow out of the game without a World Cup against their name is utter injustice. I will never say that the team did not try their best and this pic below speaks for itself.



My heart goes out to the big 3.

R.I.P Glory days of Indian cricket ...

Ohh, and I almost forgot! I'd promised myself earlier this week that I'd pay to watch the matches online after India advances into the Super 8's . Waiting for the outcome of today's game, I saved $60 ;)

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

mate, I echo the same! Good u came to office and saved $ 60 too.....

I had a good night'sleep. I slept when India were 112/5.

Unknown said...

Amit Mandhre following Cricket ? Good writing !

Amit said...

No surprises there really. Isnt that like our favorite national timepass :D