Thursday, April 26, 2007

Mode : Repeat

How many times would you listen to a song on repeat mode in one go? If you are anything like my roomie the answer to that would be 'until the batteries burn out'!

This ties back to my post where I woke up to James Blunt moaning You're Beautiful on a beautiful weekend morning (afternoon, whatever :D) I was lolling on my bed one fine saturday morning arguing with myself whether 11 am was early enough to wake up on a Saturday. I was quickly convinced that I could get some more sleep since I had nothing to do on that weekend anyways. About half an hour later, I realised that there was something playing in the background which was distracting me big time and I couldnt stay in bed any longer listening to that sound. Unwillingly, I crawled out of the bed and strolled out into the living room following the sound. There in the far end of the room was my roomie's laptop playing this song, again and again, with mr.roomie nowhere in sight. Cursing him I hit the mute button on his laptop, the only thing I could do to save my ears, since he'd locked the comp and gone away.

Since I was now out of the bed, thanks to Mr Blunt, and it was close to noon I didnt see any point in getting back to my (ever) incomplete sleep. About 10 minutes later, in walked my roomie, hands full with grocery bags.So dude was at the grocery store all this while, unmindful of the fact that he had left the house with his laptop on, media player on repeat mode and playing such a horrible song!

I was obviously cranky that morning, not having had as much sleep as I would've liked. Part of my crankiness could also relate to how much I hate songs such as this one, with the lovey dovey lyrics hopelessly moaning out how beautiful someone was. First, the lyrics claim the singer does not know who the woman is, second - this woman is with another man, and third the singer says he was high. Get a life crackhead! For all I know he could've dreamt about this beautiful angel he saw while he was high. Oh well. Showering praise on someone is not exactly my forte, high or not, and I hate songs with hopelessly romantic lyrics. And to think that my sleep was left incomplete because of this crappy song - Aaargh!!

Back to the topic, I asked my roomie to not keep playing songs in repeat mode and especially not this one. He told me that he liked this song very much and by default he always had his music player in repeat mode, so he would've never realised the same song was playing continuously even if he was around. Ofcourse he wouldnt realise that the same song is playing, but if such a sucky song were playing, I would definitely realise and be bothered by it! But evidently he really liked this song and he made a statement when he burnt the song onto a CD about 15 times to completely fill it up with the same song and played it in his car (thankfully) quite regularly.

Surprisingly this fellow isn't the only one I've met who likes to listen to the same song over and over again. Last year when I was working at Miller, I used to have lunch with a desi teammate (lets call him A) on most days. Miller was about the good times and we often ended up taking long lunches driving across town to get to the finest food places (as were available in Milwaukee). So whenever A drove, he always had one of two songs playing - one was a remix of a song called 'Mere Naseeb mein tu hai ke nahi' and the other was 'Ya Ali'. He always hit the previous button when the track ended and we listened to the same songs day in and day out. I was unmindful the 1st few times but soon enough these songs started getting on my nerves. I dont know what joy A derived from listening to those songs over and over but somehow I got the feeling that he did this more to irritate his co-passengers than for his own enjoyment. Really! 'cos there was this other guy (lets call him B) who joined us sometimes for lunch and he hated Himesh Reshammiya from the bottom of his heart (much like most people do). Whenever B joined us for lunch, A was quick to swap CD's and put on the choicest of Himesh's nasal tracks!

So that makes 2 people I know until now who like to listen to one song in repeat mode until they get absolutely bored with it or for whatever better reason only they might know. I don't have to worry about A now, cos I'm not in Milwaukee anymore. The only one I need to worry about is the 'repeater' in San Diego. Nowadays things are getting better though. I've educated him on the importance of creating playlists and I get to hear about 7-8 songs in repeat mode - easier on the ears than listening to one song 50 times in a row;) Next up I want to wane him off the repeat button, but from what I've seen (or heard) so far, I think this could take a while :))

No comments: